I have completely changed the focus of my blog. I have not deleted old posts, so there are old unrelated posts. I will be blogging about the food I cook as my husband and I work towards a healthier lifestyle. I will have menus, pictures, recipes and tips on eating healthier. I hope you enjoy!



Wednesday, March 7, 2007

The Capitalist Monster


So, over lunch I decided I would stop in a local downtown bookstore to look for a specific book I've been meaning to buy. As I was walking in I saw a huge sign that said 40% off of everything. My first thought was "sweet, I can get the book for cheap!" since it's a brand new book. But, as I walked into the store, I saw the half empty shelves and the 40% off sign made sense.

I walked up to the counter to the same woman who is in there every time I go (which has been a while, I'll admit) to ask about the book. She looked up from looked like some sort of business records keeping book with sad, puffy eyes. As I was asking her I was smiling, but she looked so sad. She said that they hadn't gotten anything new in since December. Choosing my words carefully, I asked if they "were closing". Choking back tears, she said that they were going out of business. My heart sank. I could tell that this was her dream and it was shattering or perhaps there was more. Maybe she didn't know how she was going to feed her children or make rent. I told her that I was really sorry to hear it and that I wish that I had come in more. I doubt she remembers me, but there is something about her that has always struck me about her. I didn't go there a lot, but a few times over the past few years. She was so sweet and responded that it wasn't my fault and thanked me. I wished her luck and she said they would need it.

It is just so sad that small business have such a had time surviving. Now, what's probably saddeest of all is that I'll probably go buy the book I wanted at Barnes and Noble. I feel somewhat justified, though since I was drinking my smoothie from Main Squeeze.

No comments: